Sunday, January 19, 2014

Black and White Chili

I really struggled with what to name this chili. I named it Black and White Chili because I used 1 can black beans and 1 can white kidney beans. But I also considered calling it Rainbow Chili. Because I used a green and a yellow pepper, and there's the corn and the tomatoes so it's really quite a rainbow. So call it what ever feels good to you! 

I also made some corn bread with it. I didn't let the corn bread cook long enough because I was hungry, so I think next time I would poor it into muffin tins so it cooks faster and I don't destroy it by trying to cut it up. It is quite a dense corn bread, not of the fluffy variety. But I thought they were both quite delicious!


Black and White Chili
1 Medium Onion
2 Bell Peppers
3 Cloves Garlic
1 Jalapeno
1 28 oz can of Tomatoes
1 can Black Beans
1 can White Beans
1 cup Corn
½ can Tomato Paste
2 tsp Brown Sugar
1 T Red Chili Powder
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Ground Cumin
1 bay leaf
3+ cups of water

Salt and pepper to taste

1.Chop ONION, PEPPERS, and GARLIC.

2. You can use either oil or water to soften up the chopped ONIONS, GARLIC, and JALAPENO.

3. Once those are softened or a lightly browned add in all the SPICES.

4. Add in BEANS, CORN, TOMATO PASTE, PEPPERS, SUGAR and WATER. 

5. Cook until peppers and tomatoes are fully cooked, or longer if you can to help the flavours mingle. Add as much water as you want for more soupy, or less for a drier chili.

No comments:

Post a Comment